Effective methods of dealing with seasonal allergies
- Posted on: Jul 15 2021
Are you dreading allergy season? Do you struggle with the symptoms of allergies every spring and fall, or are you dealing with the problems year-round? At The ENT and Allergy Centers of Texas, we understand how frustrating seasonal allergies can be, and we can assist! While many patients visit our practice for prescription-strength allergy meds, many patients are unaware of the steps they can take to reduce their symptoms with lifestyle changes.
Tips for coping with seasonal allergies
Below are several recommendations from our team at The ENT and Allergy Centers of Texas with strategies for dealing with seasonal allergies:
- Keep your shoes and outdoor wear at the door and do not bring them into the house
- Keep your windows closed, even though that gorgeous spring breeze feels great!
- Monitor the daily pollen count levels and plan your time outdoors during days when counts are lowest
- Talk to your doctor about prescription allergy medications if over-the-counter options are not working for you
- Invest in a HEPA air filter for your house to filter out allergens
- Combine medications, including oral and nasal sprays, to combat severe allergies as directed by your doctor
- Change your furnace filter regular, and choose those that are designed for people with allergies in mind
- Delegate lawn chores, such as mowing, weeding, and gardening, to others to avoid stirring up allergens
- Avoid hanging clothes outside to dry as pollen can stick
- Avoid being outdoors on dry and windy days, when pollen is at its heaviest
- Remove clothes and shower if you’ve been outside for extended periods of time
- Rinse your sinuses regularly to help open the airways and improve breathing
Are you struggling with seasonal and environmental allergies?
It might be time to start working with a professional who can help! At The ENT and Allergy Centers of Texas, patients in the areas of Allen, Plano, Celina, and McKinney, TX have access to a wide selection of prescription medications and the knowledge base of our doctors to help them get through allergy season in comfort! Call (972) 984-1050 to schedule an appointment at any of our practice locations throughout Texas.
Posted in: Allergies